Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A dear friend forwarded to me a copy of a popular home and garden magazines newsletter she received. This recipe was listed in the slow cooker section and sounded very good and easy to put together. Smoked or roasted chicken or turkey can be used in this recipe.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken with herbs soup
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 6 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, shredded (1-1/2 cups)
- 28 ounces frozen hash browns with onions and peppers
- 3 cups smoked chicken or 3 cups smoked turkey, chopped
- crouton, Crushed (optional)
- Using at least a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker, lightly coat the inside of the crock with nonstick cooking spray. Add soup, sour cream, cheese, frozen potatoes, chicken and combine well.
- Cover with lid and cook on the low setting for 5 to 5 hours. If desired, before serving top each serving with crushed croutons. Serve immediately.
Pure comfort food at it's best. I did mine in the oven in a 8x8 inch pyrex baking dish for 1 hour. I also didn't have the smoked turkey and so included a healthy sprinkling of smoked paprika and seasoning salt. I opted out of the croutons as well although I can see where they would be a nice crunchy addition. :-) Made for KK's recipetag~
First off, let me start by saying what I did wrong so you will avoid the same mistakes! I decided to try to make this one low fat, using fat free sour cream and fat free creamed soup and low fat cheddar with a sprinkling of smoke flavor. I also couldn't find hashbrowns with onions and peppers so was stuck with just plain. I am still giving this four stars because I am sure if I made it the way it was written it would have been good. But the way I made it the flavor was horrible and we had to throw it out, lol, and it was definitely the "low fat" that made it awful I am 100% sure! I think if I make this again I will use cubed smoked ham instead of chicken, the combo just seems perfect. After 8 hours of cooking on low the potatoes were still firm and it hadn't baked into the sides of the crock pot or anything, it looked fabulous. This would be a great dish to pass at a potluck.
Everyone really liked this recipe. DH said 4 to 4.5 stars, same with DS. I am bumping it to a solid 5 for ease. I used fat free soup and lowfat dairy products. I couldn't find smoked cheddar locally, but smoked gouda was available so I mixed it with a little lf cheddar. We are planning on giving it a shot with ham next. Thanks for the amazing recipe! I need to add that the left overs for this were excellent. Everyone in the breakroom was jealous.