Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefrozen waffle-shaped French fries
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon adobo sauce
- Preheat oven and bake the waffle fries according to package directions.
- Heat the tomato sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook it for a minute or two.
- Heat the butter until melted in another pan over medium heat; whisk in the flour; cook the flour for a minute, then add the tomato paste.
- Cook for a minute longer, then whisk in the milk; when the sauce bubbles, stir in the cheese, chipotles, and adobo sauce; season to taste with salt.
- Remove the fries from the oven when they are crisp and golden brown.
- Spoon the thick cheese sauce over the waffle fries; serve.