Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This can be stored in your fridge for up to a week, which makes it perfect for party planning. I serve it with crackers or pumpernickle bread (the small party type loaf).
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl; beat at medium speed with mixer until smooth.
- Cover and chill at least 3 hours.
- Shape mixture into a ball.
- Combine pecans and parsley; roll cheese ball in pecan mixture.
- Let stand at room temp at least 30 minutes before serving.
I made this for a work potluck and most people loved it. The mustard flavor was a little too much for me (but I'm a little biased on that, because I'm not a tremendous fan of mustard), but all in all, it was good and really easy to throw together. I was so impressed how easy it was to find the two cheeses at the grocery store too. Thanks!
I could not find smoked cheddar cheese anywhere so I just doubled the sharp cheddar and added a few splashes of liquid smoke. It turned out awesome tasting with a very good smoky flavor. I will make this again - my family loved it for the holidays and the wife and I have made some since just for her and I too munch on during a movie.
I sprang for expensive smoked cheddar to make this cheese ball. While it was coming together I feared it would be bland, so I added 1/4 c. minced red onion and 1/2 t. hot sauce. After mixing, I tasted it: bland. I went ahead and chilled per the directions. When it came time to roll it in the toasted pecans and fresh parsley, I added a good dusting of cayenne pepper and mixed that in well with the pecans and parsley. The cheese ball is good, but it just can't compare to other cheese balls in terms of flavor. I am most disappointed with the "smoky" factor - I bought the smoked cheddar and I'm feeling like why did I bother. We'll definitely eat this, but it's a bit of a letdown!