Inspired by a recipe in 400 Best Comfort Foods by Joanna Burkhard. This recipe makes more cheese spread than is needed for one baguette but it keeps for several days in the fridge. The extra cheese spread can also be formed into a delicious cheese ball. For a more intense smoky, spicy flavour, you could use a chipotle pepper in place of the jalapenos.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces cream cheese (light, spreadable work fine)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons red bell peppers, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, minced (picked or chipotle can sub)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 baguette, sliced into 36 slices
- 1In a food processor, grate cheddar cheese. Change to metal blade and puree cheddar, cream cheese, smoked paprika and garlic until smooth.
- 2Transfer to a bowl; stir in red pepper, jalapeno peppers and parsley.
- 3Spread bread slices with a generous teaspoonful of cheese mixture. Arrange on baking sheets.
- 4Bake in oven preheated to 375F for 8-10 minutes until tops are puffed and edges are toasted.
- 5These appetizers can be frozen before baking. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze. Transfer to a rigid containers, separating layers with parchment paper and keep frozen for up to one month. Do not defrost before baking for 10-12 minutes at 375°F.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoky Cheddar Jalapeno Toasts
Serving Size: 1 (1408 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.1
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 268.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 6.8 g