Our family loves Brussels sprouts and are always looking for new ways to serve them. I found this on a website and made some adjustments and it has become a favorite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs Brussels sprouts (fresh sprouts trimmed and halved and cooked for 6-8 minutes, or frozen baby sprouts, cooked about 3)
- 3 -4 slices bacon, diced (I used thick sliced bacon)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces shallots, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 6 ounces smoked gouda cheese
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1Prepare Brussels sprouts and drain well.
- 2Cook diced bacon until well done but not too crisp.
- 3Remove bacon to a paper towel but leave the bacon fat in the pan.
- 4Add the 1 Tbsp butter to pan and heat until sizzling and add the shallots.
- 5Saute over low heat until shallots start to brown, but don't allow to brown too much.
- 6In saucepan, melt 2 Tbsp butter and add the flour.
- 7Stir for about 2 minutes to cook the flour.
- 8Slowly whisk in the milk.
- 9Cook until the mixture simmers and allow to thicken for about 3 minutes more.
- 10Stir in cream cheese and smoked Gouda until completely melted.
- 11In a large non-stick saute pan, melt 3 Tbsp butter until sizzling and add breadcrumbs.
- 12Stir well to coat and toast slightly.
- 13Mix the bacon and shallots with the cheese sauce and stir into cooked Brussels sprouts.
- 14Place into shallow casserole dish.
- 15Sprinkle toasted breadcrumbs over casserole and bake in medium oven (350°F) until casserole is bubbly and hot.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoky Brussels Sprouts Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 506.1
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.9 g
- Cholesterol 92.6 mg
- Sodium 678.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 18.8 g