Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
I adapted a recipe in Cooking Light to fit our tastes.
- 1 lb smoked turkey sausage, cubed
- 7 ounces chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 3⁄4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons gumbo file
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups water
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans no-salt-added plum tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 lime wedges
- Remove 2 chilies from can, reserve remaining chilies and sauce for another use. Finely chop chilies.
- Heat a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium high heat.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; saute 8 minutes or until onion and carrot are tender.
- Stir in chilies, cumin, and next 5 ingredients; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in water, beans, broth, sausage, and tomatoes, bring to a boil.
- Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, discard bay leaves.
- Place 3 cups of mixture in a blender. Let stand 5 minutes to cool then process until smooth.
- Return to pot stirring to combine.
- Ladle 1 1/4 cups of soup into 8 bowls; top with 1 Tsp yogurt and 1 1/2 tsp cilantro.
- Serve with lime wedges.