Recipe by WI Cheesehead
This is a recipe from my dad's vegan cookbook. My sister used to be vegan, so he made it up for her and the rest of us, if we wanted to try the recipes. Time does not include soaking overnight. You can do the quick soak method, but may have to cut down the first cook time to 1 hour. If your family is like mine, I would puree the whole thing after it's done, LOL! Then they can't complain about the beans!
Top Review by BumblingB's
I'm always glad to follow Kumquat the Cat's Friend. We seem to need to sit down and eat together. I love smoke and beans combined. This is freshly made, and it is just what I expected and lovely. Serving it with cornbread, and feeling really good about ushering in my favorite eating season, autumn. Thank you.
- 1 lb dried great northern beans
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 carrots, peeled and slivered
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 -4 tablespoons liquid smoke
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans overnight in triple the amount of water, rinse well, and wash again.
- In a large soup pot, place vegetable stock and beans, and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, covered, until beans are tender and start to become mushy.
- Add thyme, salt, carrots, onions, celery, pepper and liquid smoke to taste, and simmer for 30 more minutes, covered, stirring several times to prevent scorching on the bottom of the pot.