Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This smoky flavored brisket is great for sandwiches or by itself. Start it before leaving the house in the morning and come home to a great meal.
- 2 -3 lbs fresh beef brisket
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Trim fat from brisket. If necessary, cut to fit into crock pot.
- Combine chili powder, garlic powder, celery seed and pepper; rub evenly over meat. Place meat in a 3 1/2-5 quart crock pot.
- For sauce, combine catsup, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke and dry mustard. Pour over brisket.
- Cover; cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Remove meat from cooker. Cut the brisket into thin slices across the grain. Skim fat off juices in cooker; serve juices with meat.
Wonderful! I was skeptical, because I've always prepared brisket with my outdoor smoker. That's time-consuming and lots of work, however. This is way simple and the results are really great. I followed the recipe precisely and I wouldn't change a thing. I'll be making this over and over!
This was the first beef brisket recipe I had ever tried. I didn't have any chili sauce, so I used mandarin sauce that I wanted to use up and I didn't have any liquid smoke. I cooked it for 3 hours on high and 2.5 more on low. It was perfect. It sliced/shredded. I thickened some of the sauce with cornstarch. It was so much easier than making pulled pork which always has too much fat to get rid of and takes a lot of time to shred. Beef Brisket is a new favorite. Thanks for a great recipe!
I have made this several times and my family loves it. I have also taken it to BBQ's and have had many people ask for the recipe. The only thing I do differently is... I double the rub recipe, mainly because the smallest brisket I can find is 5lbs. I rub the seasoning on the meat, and wrap it in plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge over night. This adds so much more flavor to this dish. Then I just follow the recipe and it comes out great every time.