Recipe by MISSJ1978
This came from the May 2005 issue of Family Circle magazine. Tried it tonight and absolutely loved it.
Top Review by Jennifer 47
I've made this several times, and it's great. Sometimes I add green peppers. I also use whatever sauce I have laying around - it doesn't matter - and any type of sausage will do. I prefer a spicy italian sausage since it goes so well with the red peppers.
- 1 lb ziti pasta or 1 lb penne
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 ounces shredded parmesan cheese (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) packagefully cooked fire-roasted chicken and turkey sausage, cut into coins
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 (25 1/2 ounce) jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°F Grease a 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish. Set aside.
- Cook pasta in lightly salted boiling water for 8 to 9 minutes. Drain.
- In medium-size bowl, stir together the cheeses, garlic salt, basil, and black pepper.
- In large bowl, stir together cooked pasta, half of the cheese mixture, red pepper, sausage, half of the drained tomatoes, and half of the pasta sauce.
- Spoon pasta mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with remaining drained tomatoes, pasta sauce, and cheese mixture.
- Cover and bake at 375F for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 more minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.