Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This one's for the guys or for you ladies who want to really make the men in your lives happy! The burgers are seasoned with liquid smoke and spices and grilled with a slice of thick-cut smoky bacon wrapped around each one. Have fun building these big boys any way you like! I find these taste their best served poolside after a good game of water basketball or volleyball with some chips and cold soda or beer.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, very finely chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (I prefer mesquite)
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 4 large hamburger buns, lightly toasted
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 4 slices kraft singles cheese (optional)
- grilled onion (optional)
- jalapeno (optional)
- A.1. Original Sauce (optional)
- barbecue sauce (Any other favorite toppings or condiments etc.) (optional)
- Combine the ground beef, onion, egg yolk, salt, pepper, and liquid smoke in a medium bowl and mix well.
- The mixture should be soft, yet hold its shape.
- Add up to 1/2 cup bread crumbs if mixture will not come together.
- Mix with your hands-- like a man should!
- Feel free to add small amounts of any other seasonings you think would add to the flavor.
- I like to add a bit of minced garlic, seasoned salt, cayenne, etc.
- Have fun with it.
- Divide the mixture into four equal portions and form into patties that are about the diameter of the buns you'll be using.
- This should make them fairly thin and large.
- Wrap a slice of bacon around the center of each patty and secure with toothpicks.
- Chill in refrigerator at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours to chill and firm up the patties.
- Bring patties up to room temperature while preparing a hot fire in grill.
- Throw on a few water-logged mesquite wood chunks and grill the burgers to your liking, removing the toothpicks before turning over.
- While the burgers are on the grill, lightly toast the buns under the broiler or on the grill.
- Be sure you have the large hamburger buns, not those puny ones like you see in McDonald's happy meals.
- You're making man-sized burgers here!
- Place the hamburger patties, buns, tomatoes, lettuce, and anything else you want to use to build your burger, on individual plates and let each person make their own.
- These burgers go great with potato chips, macaroni salad, baked beans, and corn on the cob for a fantastic Summer meal.
- A chocolate pudding or slice of cream pie makes a great dessert.
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled or whatever to serve as many as you need.
I ran the gamut of using all the options suggested. Did add the unflavored breadcrumbs to give it some "holdability" so I could place these in my smoker. When I smoke foods, I will usually smoke several things at once (chicken, pork, brisket, sausages, etc). These burgers fit in very well and talk about the taste!!! Yummy!
Oh my gosh, this was the best burger I've ever had! These were definitely man sized burgers and my husband and son were raving about them! This will be my grilled burger recipe from now on. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!
These burgers were huge! I could only eat half and I was stuffed! I did have a little trouble as the bacon caused the burgers to char a bit but the flavour of the patties was worth it. We left out the tomatoes and cheese but did add mayo and barbque sauce. My meat loving husband just loved these, thanks for posting.