Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Instead of phoning for a pizza, try making this tempting version of a popular classic.
For the dough
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 200 ml beer, lukewarm (or use water instead if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon clear honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 350 g strong flour, plus more if necessary
For the pizza
- 250 ml tomato passata (sieved tomatoes)
- 3 onions, sliced and slowly caramelised
- 250 g smoked lardons, crisped in a hot pan and drained
- 1 small baby fresh pineapple, roughly chopped
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- 4 fresh mozzarella cheese, each sliced into five
- 200 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons oregano, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- chili oil, to serve
- crisp green salad, to serve
- In a bowl, combine the yeast with the beer or water, honey, olive oil and salt.
- Leave for 5 minutes at room temperature to activate the yeast, then transfer to a food processor along with the flour and process until the dough forms a ball.
- The dough should be soft but not sticky. If it is too sticky, add a bit more flour and process for another couple of seconds.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead thoroughly for 2 minutes, adding extra flour if necessary to form a smooth dough.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat with oil.
- Cover with a damp tea towel and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, at least 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 230C/gas 8/450°F
- Divide the dough into 4 and roll into balls. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet, cover with a damp towel and leave to rest for 15 minutes. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and roll into 30cm rounds, each about 1cm thick.
- Spread 2 tbsp of tomato sofrito on the base of each pizza, leaving a 5cm edge. Spread the caramelised onions on top, followed by the lardons, pineapple and cherry tomatoes. Top with the mozzarella, Parmesan, oregano and pepper.
- Bake on a baking tray in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until crisp and bubbling. Leave to cool for two minutes before serving with a little chilli oil and a crisp green salad.