This salsa has a slight twist to it! Why Smoking? Besides the heat from the hot peppers you have a smokey flavor going from the chipotle peppers. Then optional for those that like it real hot use ghost chilies. This makes nice little gifts, just pack a basket with it and some chips, avocados, cheese, beer or margarita mix etc.
- 10 cups meaty tomatoes, diced seeded and peeled (I don`t peel more vitamins and easier)
- 2 cups bell peppers (red or green)
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 4 jalapenos, seeded and deveined veins can stay in if you like it hot
- 2 -4 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 -3 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can diced green chilies (for extra heat) or 2 fresh ghost bell peppers (for extra heat)
- 2 tablespoons sugar, use to taste if tomatoes are sweet can skip
- 1 fresh lime, zest and meat
- 1 cup vinegar, 5% acidity
- 1 cup packed cilantro, chopped
- In a food processor, process with the metal blade the meat of lime, jalapenos, garlic, and chipotle peppers and ghost chilies if using till minced fine.
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan stir to mix well and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Ladle into hot jars leaving 1/2 headspace.
- Remove any air bubbles.
- Clean rims and adjust lids.
- Process in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes.
- Remove from bath and cool in a wind free area.
- Label and store in a cool, dark, dry place.
This salsa has become my favorite!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!
I made this salsa last fall with tomatoes and peppers from my garden and gave the jars as Christmas gives with homemade tortilla chips. Oh, the raves I received. My hair stylist still talks about it and says it was the best salsa he has ever had. Thanks for the great recipe Rita. I hope my tomatoes will produce enough for me to make it again!
This recipe rocks for flavor and texture, extactly what I was looking for, I did add extra chipolte chilis as I love the smoky flavor. I measured right on, and came out with 8 pint jars. Of course one never made it to the pantry, the teens devoured it!