Recipe by gailanng
Serve po'boy style on a French roll or with cole slaw. Inspired with adaptations from Kerry Saretsky, author of French Revolution Food.
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 4 chipotle peppers plus 8 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 4 (6 ounce) fillets mahi mahi, tilapia, snapper, halibut, etc
- canola oil or vegetable oil (for frying)
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
Directions See How It's Made
- In a blender, whiz together the buttermilk, chipotles and adobo sauce. Place in a large sealable plastic bag with the fish and marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a cast iron skillet until it reaches 375°F
- Mix together the salt, flour and cornmeal. Dredge the fish in the coating and then fry, two at a time, for about 3 minutes, until golden brown. Serve with lemon wedges or on a bun with chipotle cole slaw.