Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 24 hrs
"...and we will discuss your affairs this very afternoon, over a Christmas bowl of smoking bishop, Bob!"- A Christmas Carol. Did you ever wonder what he was talking about? This is the recipe he sent in a letter to a friend, so I have kept the ingredients the same. However, I have begun playing around with it, reducing the port and juice, because I find the flavors a bit overwhelming.
- Wash the fruit and bake it on a foil lined baking sheet until it becomes pale brown, turning once.
- Heat a large earthenware bowl and add the fruit. Stud each fruit with five cloves.
- Add the sugar and the red wine, and store covered in a warm place for about a day.
- Squeeze the fruit to extract the juice, and strain into a saucepan.
- Add the port and warm thoroughly, but don't boil.
- Serve in heated glasses.
- Note: There are many suggestions for variations in this recipe, including the addition of star anise and cinnamon sticks.
- There was also a suggestion to bring the mix to a boil, simmer for an hour, and add brandy, brown sugar and orange juice.
Very authentic! Fun and similar to a good Glogg.