Recipe by JenPo
"...and we will discuss your affairs this very afternoon, over a Christmas bowl of smoking bishop, Bob!"- A Christmas Carol. Did you ever wonder what he was talking about? This is the recipe he sent in a letter to a friend, so I have kept the ingredients the same. However, I have begun playing around with it, reducing the port and juice, because I find the flavors a bit overwhelming.
- 5 unpeeled sweet oranges
- 1 large unpeeled grapefruit
- 1⁄4 lb sugar (a little over 1/2 cup)
- 30 cloves
- 1500 ml strong red wine (2 bottles-about 51 oz)
- 750 ml port wine (1 bottle-about 25.6 oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the fruit and bake it on a foil lined baking sheet until it becomes pale brown, turning once.
- Heat a large earthenware bowl and add the fruit. Stud each fruit with five cloves.
- Add the sugar and the red wine, and store covered in a warm place for about a day.
- Squeeze the fruit to extract the juice, and strain into a saucepan.
- Add the port and warm thoroughly, but don't boil.
- Serve in heated glasses.
- Note: There are many suggestions for variations in this recipe, including the addition of star anise and cinnamon sticks.
- There was also a suggestion to bring the mix to a boil, simmer for an hour, and add brandy, brown sugar and orange juice.