Recipe by French Tart
This is our Build a Burger recipe designed by the Sassy Saucepan Clan for ZWT3; a veritable feast of a burger, smoky hot and yet cool and fresh.......made with juicy prime Angus Burger patties, fresh lightly toasted large burger buns, onion garnish, sliced pepper cheese, chipotle aioli, maple bacon, chipotle barbecue sauce, guacamole, lettuce and tomatoes......10 sumptuous combination for a SASSY southern burger with ATTITUDE - suggested and posted by 10 sassy sisters with attitude!! Are YOU sassy enough to take up the challenge...and make and eat this burger??!!
Top Review by Debi
Reviewing this for ZWT III. Since it's a recipe made for a group - we had a group and my review is based on an average rating per guest. We had 12. Some loved it - some really didn't like it at all - all based on taste preferences. For myself - when serving a group in a backyard bbq setting, I love recipes like this. Make ahead and let everyone make their own burgers up. The one thing I'd change on the recipe was the amounts listed for the Chipotle Aioli. You could very easily cut the amounts in half and still have way more than enough. I'll probably do again but with some changes.
Burgers and Buns
- 12 (8 ounce) beef burgers
- 1 dozen extra large bun
- sea salt
- cracked pepper
- 12 slices monterey jack pepper cheese
- 24 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup maple sugar
- 2 large red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chilies
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed, stemmed, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, washed roots trimmed, chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice, fresh
- 2 cups mayonnaise
CHIPOTLE BBQ SAUCE
- 10 (12 ounce) bottlessmoky barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon chipote chile
- 1 large avocado
- 1 teaspoon finely mashed garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 4 fresh tomatoes, sliced
- 1 fresh crisp iceberg lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- MAPLE BACON.
- Place bacon on sheet pan and sprinkle each slice with maple sugar and pinch of cracked pepper. Bake at 375 until crispy. Keep warm in low oven uncovered until ready to serve.
- ONION GARNISH.
- Saute onions in butter until well browned. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Set aside, keep warm.
- CHIPOTLE AIOLI.
- Puree all the above aioli ingredients in food processor until smooth then add the mayonnaise. Continue processing until well blended. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- CHIPOTLE BBQ SAUCE.
- Process the sauce and chillies in food processer until creamy.
- Mash avocados with whisk and add 1 tsp finely mashed garlic. Add the fresh lime juice, sea salt, cracked pepper and continue mashing with whisk until smooth with small coarse chunks of avocados. Refrigerate until cool.
- Grill burgers to medium/medium rare with sea salt and pepper to desired doneness, then melt cheese slice on top of burger after flipping and keep them warm while toasting the buns.
- BURGER ASSEMBLY.
- Place some slices of tomatoes and some crisp lettuce leaves on the bottom toasted bun, then spread chipotle aloli on the bottom of each toasted bun followed by the sautéed onions, 2 strips bacon, burger patty with cheese, liberal dose of chipotle BBQ sauce, generous dollop of guacamole, sprig of cilantro garnish.
- The top bun may also be spread with chipotle aloli - SASSY SOUTHERN COMFORT!