Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A popular dish in the Caribbean. You can change up the spices to your liking. You could also use soy or other non dairy yogurt or sour cream to make this vegan. From Sue's Nutrition Buzz.
- 4 ears corn
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or chili powder for less heat)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder and 1/4 tsp salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 wedges oranges (or lemon)
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt (can use sour cream)
- 1⁄4 cup mint leaf (or 2 tsp mint paste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Grill corn on grill or you can steam or even boil the corn.
- Mix all the dry spices together.
- Dip an orange wedge in olive oil, dip into spice mix and rub into corn.
- Cut corn into bite size pieces and stick a tooth pick inches.
- Blend yogurt with mint and 1/4 tsp salt till smooth.
- Serve corn with yogurt mint dip.
- Use any blend of your favorite spices ! Good spices to use are cumin, paprika, garlic powder, ginger powder, curry powder, etc.
We really enjoyed the corn this way, the spices with the olive oil and orange were just yummy! I used a pinch of cayenne and some chili powder so not to be too hot. I misread the recipe and mixed the spices into the oil which worked out fine. I liked that I didn't miss butter at all! The only down side for us was the mint sauce, we both felt like it didn't go at all flavor wise , so skipped it after the first bite. Thanks for a great recipe Sharon! made for ZWT 9 Caribbean by one of Mike and the Appliance Killers
Yummy. I sure need lessons on how to cut a corn cob into pieces. I ended up getting my knife part way thru the corn and then just pounded it on the cutting board to finish the job. I had corn kernels and 'milk' all over my kitchen. lol. I used a lemon and really enjoyed this corn. It was also messy to eat, so make sure you have lots of napkins handy for this one. Thanks Sharon for sharing. Made for ZWT9.
We enjoyed the spiciness of this corn - I found the dipping sauce to be a little weird, but that's just me, and my tastebuds yearning for butter on my corn on the cob. ;-) Trying to stretch my 'wings' a little, so I did eat it as directed, but may skip the yogurt sauce next time, personal preference only. Thanks for sharing, Sharon123.