Recipe by Ex-Pat Mama
Here's the thing: This recipe is 100% W30 if you leave out the liquid smoke (which contains molasses). I like the smokiness - so I add it anyway. The 8 or 10 drops of liquid smoke throughout the entire quart or so of BBQ sauce doesn't feel like an issue to me. But if you are super strict, then leave out the liquid smoke. Your sauce will still be a gazillion times better than grocery store junk. I make my own date paste, apple sauce and tomato paste (recipes sited) so I need 2 days to make this sauce. If you purchase those ingredients you can make the sauce in one quick hour. I adapted this recipe from Thehealthyfoodie.com
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 15 g ginger, grated
- 180 g tomato paste, recipe 498897
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 50 g dates, paste recipe 516358
- 100 g applesauce, Applesauce - W30 and Thermomix
- 40 g balsamic vinegar
- 40 g white wine vinegar
- 45 g Dijon mustard
- 1 lime, juiced
- 30 g coconut aminos
- 15 g fish sauce, paleo compliant
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes, to taste
- 220 ml water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
Directions See How It's Made
- Get out your handy-dandy Thermomix. Set the blades spinning at 7 drop the onion and garlic onto the spinning blades. Scrape down and zap again if necessary to mince fine. Add the grated ginger. I find I prefer to grate my ginger by hand. If you prefer to toss the whole chunk into the Tmix with the onion and garlic - more power to you - do it!
- Add in all remaining ingredients.
- Cook 45 minutes/speed 3.5/100º. Scrape down occasionally.
- Carefully-carefully-carefully raise the speed from 1 to 8 over about 15 seconds. Your sauce will be thick and delicious. Slather over the meat of your choice.