Prep 1 min
Cook 0 mins
This is a baste to be used when smoking meat with the skin attached. It works wonderfully on whole pigs, turkeys and chickens. It gives a nice crispy skin and can impart (with the optional additions) extra flavor. I'm giving the amount we use for a 120 pound pig but the basic parts are 1/1/2 plus seasoning. Canola oil should not be used since it can lend a fishy taste. This recipe is only meant to be used when smoking meat, this is NOT a grill recipe. Thanks to all the wonderful people at CC for helping name this recipe!
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- sage (optional)
- onion, and (optional)
- garlic powder (very good on poultry) (optional)
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- garlic, and (optional)
- onion powder (BBQ!) (optional)
- Mix and "paint" your pig or bird, keep it covered and smoking. Enjoy!
- Whatever seasonings are yummy for you can work, experiment!