Recipe by Darkhunter
This was exported from MasterCook*. A different way to prepare wilted lettuce salad. Goes absolutely great with old fashioned fried pork chops.
Top Review by ~Nimz~
This was a very nice combination. The only difference I made in the salad was I used red onion instead of the scallion. I used fat free half and half in place of the heavy cream and I think that caused the dressing to curdle at first, but after whisking for several minutes it blended pretty well. Will try the heavy cream next time. Thanks for sharing this very nice salad. Made for PRMR :)
- 1 3⁄4 lbs lettuce, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1⁄3 cup scallion, finely chopped
- 3 large eggs, hard boiled and chopped
- 6 slices bacon
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put lettuce, scallions, and eggs in a salad bowl.
- Cook bacon in a heavy skillet over moderate heat, turning occasionally until crisp.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain and pour off all but 2 Tbsp fat from the skillet.
- Add vinegar and sugar to bacon fat and cook over moderate heat, whisking, until sugar dissolves.
- Whisk in cream, salt, and pepper, then boil until thickened slightly.
- Pour hot dressing over salad and toss well.
- Season salad with salt and pepper, if necessary, and crumble bacon over top.