Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Dry smoked sausage can be used in place of the bacon, just use olive oil or butter in place of the bacon grease. Also you could use all chicken stock, but make certain to still add in one can beef broth, also canned lentils may be used. Please don't omit the white wine and the Parmesan cheese on top, both ingredients add flavor to the soup!
Top Review by Engrossed
This is a very nice thick and hearty soup. I loved the bacon in it! I used more bacon than called for but not as much grease. I used brown lentils. I added 2 cups of water with 3 chicken bouillion cubes at the end as it was too thick. I added 1/2 tsp black pepper and that was too much (my mistake). I really enjoyed this with the parmesan cheese. Made for Zaar tag.
- 6 slices bacon (can use more, or use dry smoked sausage)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and coarsley grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 (10 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef broth
- 3 cups water (or use 6 cups chicken broth with 1 cup beef broth)
- 1 (1 lb) bag dry lentils, well rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, cook the bacon until crisp; remove to a plate, when bacon is cool enough to handle then coarsley crumble or chop (leave most of the bacon grease in the pot).
- Add in the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, shallots and chili flakes; saute until the onions are transparent.
- Add in the wine and simmer uncovered until reduced slightly (about 15-20 minutes).
- Add in all the remaining ingredients including the cooked bacon, except the Parmesan cheese; simmer for about 1-1/2 hours or until the lentils are very tender (add in more broth if the soup is too thick).
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.