Recipe by HeatherFeather
Sloppy Joes with a hint of chipotle. I made these last night for supper and they were gobbled down so quickly. The original version (a recent Cooking light recipe) called a can of beans and half the meat, but my family prefers it this way. Also, I had to improvise by using Mrs Dash Chipotle blend, which actually worked out very well and I have a new favorite seasoning blend. (The original version called for 1/8 tsp. plain chipotle powder.) The recipe as stated is not very spicy to my tastebuds, so feel free to adjust the heat by adding more chipotle blend and serving hot sauce on the side.
Top Review by Feej
These were wonderful! My dh liked them so much - he had them several days in a row. Every day, he would tell me that he liked them. Thank you for a wonderful twist on a familiar recipe. From now on, our Joes will only be Smokey!
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (90% or higher)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried chipotle powder (or 1/4 tsp. Mrs Dash Chipotle Seasoning Blend -this is what I used)
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion, undrained
- 6 hamburger buns (I used whole wheat)
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese (or any cheese you like)
- 1 dill pickle, cut into long thin slices (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat (adding a spray of cooking spray or a drop of olive oil if needed to prevent sticking).
- Brown the beef until no longer pink, draining fat.
- Add onions and garlic and saute along with the drained beef for about 2 minutes, to cook the onions.
- Add cumin, chili powder, and Mrs Dash Chipotle seasoning and cook about 30 seconds.
- Lower heat a bit, add ketchup, canned tomatoes with their liquid and cook about 6 minutes, or until liquid has absorbed.
- Taste for seasonings and add more chipotle blend if you prefer (I like it spicy so I added more).
- Spoon cooked mixture onto buns and top each with a couple of pickle slices and a slice of cheese.
- NOTE: If you are subbing beans for half of the meat,drained them & rinse them and add then when you add the tomatoes.