Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I went to two chili cook-off's over the past year. The first one was won by someone who had a smokey flavored chili, the other was won by an Italian flavored chili. I decided to make a Smokey Italian Chili and won 1st place in a chili cookoff with it. Enjoy.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage (bulk not links)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup smoked mozzarella cheese, grated (most grocery store deli’s carry this)
- 1 package mccormick chipotle chili seasoning
- 4 (16 ounce) cansbush dark red kidney beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce with italian seasoning
- 2 (10 ounce) cansrotel diced tomatoes with green chilies, with garlic olive oil and oregeno
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced or diced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Brown the Italian Sausage and Turkey in large skillet and break into small bite-sized pieces with the spatula, drain fat, put in large pot turned on medium-high.
- Drain the liquid from the beans and add beans to the pot.
- Add the tomato sauce and Rotel, stir well.
- Add Chili seasoning, Italian seasoning, garlic, worchestshire sauce, garlic salt, liquid smoke, red wine and water, stir and heat until simmer.
- Add the grated smoked Mozzarella cheese, stirring until it is well melted.
- Mix the corn starch with either 1/4-cup of red wine or with 1/4-cup cold water until smooth, then add to the chili and mix well.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
This was really unique. A fantastic twist on chili. I couldn't find chipotle chili seasoning, so used chipotle marinade spices and several tablespoons of chili powder. Served with biscuits... great recipe. Thanks for posting.