Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I'm always looking for new ways of using aubergines (aka eggplant). I found this in Ideal Home magazine. Yummy, just don't think about the amount of oil.
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Wrap the bulb of garlic in foil and place on a baking tray together with the aubergines, bake for about 45 minutes.
- Allow them to cool off slightly when done and cut the aubergines in half.
- Using a spoon scoop out the mushy centre of the aubergine and place in a food processor.
- Squeeze the garlic out of its skin and add to the aubergine.
- Add the oil and cumin and whiz until well combined and smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This is superb. I like to try uncomplicated and simple ideas.I tried this except for ground cumin because I run out. I microwaved the aubergine, cut in half and pierce few holes with edge of knive. cover and m/wave for 3min on High or until the aubergine is tender. I lightly toasted the garlic on fried pan.And I add juice from 2 lemons.
I liked this, especially the creamy texture, but felt it needed something to take it up a level. It was just a little bland for my taste. I added a couple teaspoonfuls of hot sauce and that helped. Next time I might try a squeeze of lemon juice as well. I served it with toasted pita bread.