Recipe by WiGal
This is what my family's requests for a make ahead egg casserole. Because the bacon is on top, I can reserve a section of the casserole w/o the bacon to accommodate my wonderful DIL who is a vegetarian. This recipe is over 30 years old.
Top Review by Tinkerbell's Mommy
My family, especially my husband loved this! The best part was probably the croutons soaked in bacon grease, talk about fattening! I like that you can get most of it ready the nite before...
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 6 ounces smoke flavored cheese spread
- 6 slices bacon
- 3 slices bread, cut in 1/4-inch cubes
- 12 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pimiento (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Blend in flour. Add milk. Stir constantly over medium high heat until sauce mixture thickens and bubbles. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese spread until melted; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium high heat until crisp. Drain on paper toweling. Reserve drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon and refrigerate.
- To make the croutons, saute bread cubes in bacon drippings until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove croutons and refrigerate.
- In a medium bowl, mix eggs, mushrooms, and pimento.
- In the same skillet you already used, add vegetable oil and heat the oil over medium high heat. Add egg mixture, gently lifting edges of egg mixture so uncooked portion flows underneath.
- When eggs are set, fold in cheese sauce. Turn mixture into a 12" X 7" baking dish that you have sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. (I usually wipe out the humidity on the cover.)
- Remove cover from pan and bake at 350 degrees and bake for 20 minutes or until eggs are hot.
- Top with croutons and bacon,
- Return to oven and bake an additional 10 minutes.