Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
When I lived in NC, I fell in love with their vinegar based BBQ! After moving back to GA, I missed it, and tried my hand at making it in my crock pot. I remove all visible fat from the boneless pork loin and crock until fork tender and shred it into the pork juices -- no added BBQ sauce is necessary during crocking process! After crocking, the cooked pork DOES NOT have a vinegary taste!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork loin (or substitute bone-in Boston butt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 -2 teaspoon liquid smoke (I use 2 teaspoons)
- barbecue sauce (OPTIONAL GARNISH ~ Sweet Baby Ray's is good!)
- A.1. Original Sauce (OPTIONAL GARNISH)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice boneless pork loin into 1-inch thick chops for quicker cooking.
- Sprinkle pork (or chops) with garlic salt.
- Pour red wine vinegar over chops.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and liquid smoke.
- Crock for 6-7 hours on LOW, or until tender ~ pork should shred easily with a fork into the pork juices.
- Remove excess juices, leaving just enough so the pork remains moist! Discard juices, or freeze to use as a soup base!
- BBQ sauce is not necessary during crocking process ~ USE AS A GARNISH ONLY, after shredding!.
- If desired, serve on buttered toasted hamburger buns, with BBQ Sauce, or A-1 sauce, and dill pickle slices.