Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from the Spring '04 Kraft Food & Family. We found it simple and very tasty with a little kick.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup thousand island dressing
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo, chopped
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet (like a chicken fryer).
- Saute onions until tender.
- Add tomatoes, carrots and chicken broth; mix well.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir occasionally Transfer vegetables to a blender in small batches; cover.
- Blend until smooth, adding dressing and chipotles to the last batch.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Sorry, Steph, not a winner here. Carrots? Why? Every spoonful, I kept asking myself that question: WHY? I will say, though, that the thousand island dressing was an interesting way to make it a little creamy. I wouldn't have thought to use that. If I take another crack at this, I'll definitely omit the carrot. Throwing in some shredded chicken might not be a bad idea either. Might make a pretty good base -- perhaps some black beans and corn, too ?