Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This chili has a mild smokey flavor. For more heat, increase the amount of chipotle peppers.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 chipotle chiles, plus
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce, pureed
- salt, to taste
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer (preferably Shiner Bock or Alaskan Amber)
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and beef; cook, breaking up the beef, until no longer pink.
- Stir in the beans, diced tomatoes with their juice, crushed tomatoes, and chipotle puree. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 45 minutes.
- Add beer and continue to simmer, uncovered another 45 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
- Serve topped with cheese and sour cream.