Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Wisconsin Potato Sensations cookbook. Potatoes and veggies in one!
- 2 lbs whole tiny new potatoes, halved
- 10 ounces frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2-2 cup milk (as needed)
- 8 ounces smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large saucepan, cook potatoes, covered in a small amount of boiling water about 12 minutes or just until tender.
- Add peas; cover and cook 3 minutes; transfer to a colander to drain.
- In the same saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour.
- Add 1/2 cup milk.
- Cook and stir constantly over medium high heat until thickened and bubbly Cook and stir for 1 more minute.
- Reduce heat; add cheese.
- Cook and stir for about 15 minutes or just until cheese melts.
- Add as much of the remaining milk as needed to make a medium-thick sauce.
- Add potatoes, peas and half of the bacon; heat through.
- Transfer to a large serving dish.
- Top with remaining bacon; serve warm.
Where is the 6th star? DH and I were in tater heaven. The smoked gouda (availble at my local grocery) prepackaged , presliced, very inexpensive) gave a unique smokey flavor to mundane taters. This was a nice change to cheese potatoes and didn't pass GO, but went straight to 2011 favorite, iit surpassed cheese taters hands down. Made for ZWT7, shady Ladies. Thanks for sharing a real keeper.
*Made for Australia/NZ Swap #49* did not assign stars since couldn't find smokey gouda. Eyeballed about 1/3 of recipe ( for 2), and used shredded Gruyere in place of the gouda. It was a nice combination of ingredients and prep., but, to our taste needed some salt and pepper. Served with sweet Italian sausage with peppers and onion -- made a nice Saturday night dinner. Thanks for posting, APARZCH.
Nice potato dish. I only had regular Gouda, so added just a tiny bit of liquid smoke. Made for Everyday Holiday Tag. :)