Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
I made this when I was coming down with cold symptoms and wanted a comforting soup that I could taste despite my stuffy nose. I thought it was geat so I thought I'd share. Please note: There is NO substitution for smoked paprika. Servings are totally guessed.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth, whatever
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika, NO subs
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- salt, if needed to taste
- fat free sour cream, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a pot over med heat.
- Add the onions, celery and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, and smoked paprika. Bring to a soft boil. Reduce heat, and cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the black beans and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- At this time, if desired, puree 1/3 to 1/2 of the soup for a thicker texture. Totally optional.
- Add salt, if needed.
- Serve garnished with a dallop of the optional FF sour cream.
Very good soup. I made only a few small changes, but otherwise followed recipe exactly. I added a minced jalapeno with the onions and celery. I used a second can of black beans. I pureed nearly the whole batch with a stick blender. I added a handful of frozen corn and several dashes of Mexican hot sauce near the end (after the blending). Then I garnished each serving with sliced green onions, cilantro, diced avocado, and sour cream. Lime wedges would have been great if I'd had any.
Drop what you're doing and make this soup! I had to make a few adjustments as follows: didn't have celery and used green bell pepper, fresh tomatoes and subbed Mexican oregano for dried cilantro. (CG says: "Ditch the dried cilantro"). I set aside 1/2 cup of the beans and pureed all the soup then added the beans back to the pot. Each serving had a large spoonful of steamed long grain brown rice, fresh cilantro, lime wedges and a dollop of sour cream for a complete meal in a bowl. Homemade corn tortillas were served on the side. Rich tasting and satisfying; I am very pleased to add this recipe to my Book #229018 cookbook. Glad I doubled the recipe, too! Thanks, Parsley!
This soup was very good. I did smash half of the beans before adding them (added the smashed ones near the end of cooking). For personal preference, I also subbed 1/2 tsp dried oregano for the cilantro and added 1 cup of corn with the intact beans. Great recipe, thanks!