Recipe by *Parsley*
I made this when I was coming down with cold symptoms and wanted a comforting soup that I could taste despite my stuffy nose. I thought it was geat so I thought I'd share. Please note: There is NO substitution for smoked paprika. Servings are totally guessed.
Top Review by QG
Very good soup. I made only a few small changes, but otherwise followed recipe exactly. I added a minced jalapeno with the onions and celery. I used a second can of black beans. I pureed nearly the whole batch with a stick blender. I added a handful of frozen corn and several dashes of Mexican hot sauce near the end (after the blending). Then I garnished each serving with sliced green onions, cilantro, diced avocado, and sour cream. Lime wedges would have been great if I'd had any.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth, whatever
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika, NO subs
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- salt, if needed to taste
- fat free sour cream, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a pot over med heat.
- Add the onions, celery and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, and smoked paprika. Bring to a soft boil. Reduce heat, and cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the black beans and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- At this time, if desired, puree 1/3 to 1/2 of the soup for a thicker texture. Totally optional.
- Add salt, if needed.
- Serve garnished with a dallop of the optional FF sour cream.