1 hr 3 mins
I love making soups. My parents really love them, and I love the smell throughout the house while it simmers! It is a cozy, yummy comforting supper 8)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans (2 cups) or 1 lb great northern bean (2 cups)
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth (4 14.5 oz cans each, plus 1 cup water)
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (more if you like)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 bay leaf
- pepper, to taste
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 3 large carrots, chopped (about 1-3/4 cups)
- 3 celery ribs, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1Place the beans in a Dutch oven or stock pot. Add water to cover by 2 inches.
- 2Bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour, then drain completely.
- 4Return beans to pot. Add broth, sausage, and the seasonings; bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- 6While thats cooking, sauté onions, carrots and celery in the oil.
- 7Add to soup after 1 1/2 hours.
- 8Cook at a simmer, covered, 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- 9Skim fat if needed.
- 10Remove bay leaf.
- 11Taste for additional seasonings.
- 12Serve hot and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smokey Beans & Sausage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (568 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 658.4
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 51.5 mg
- Sodium 1285.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.6 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 41.2 g