Prep 8 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
Bob Lane of the Mozark Smokemasters won first place in the Poultry division at the Valley Fare Daze in Grain Valley, MO with this recipe. It is a delicious smoked chicken recipe that we have used time and time again! Prep time includes overnight marinating time.
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) chicken (breasts, legs & thighs work best)
- 1⁄2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue spice
- 2 cups apple juice
- Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry.
- Mix salad dressing and soy sauce in a bowl; strain.
- Inject chicken breasts, thighs and legs with salad dressing mixture.
- Sprinkle barbeque seasoning evenly over chicken.
- Place chicken in sealable plastic bag; seal bag.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hours or longer.
- Remove chicken from bag.
- Cook chicken in smoker at 250 degrees F over indirect heat for 4 hours or until cooked through, misting with apple juice every 30 minutes.
- Use hickory chips or apple wood in the smoker.
This was the first time I used my new smoker to smoke a chicken. The chicken was very flavorful, juicy and tender. The only thing I did different was to use pineapple juice instead of apple. Great
This has become our go-to recipe for smoked chicken drumsticks. We follow the recipe exactly using half apple juice and half water in the water tank. The chicken does come out with a heavy smoke flavor though, which some have not liked.
I spatchcocked the chicken, injected and left it uncovered in the fridge overnight to dry. Used Cowtown Sweet Spot Rub. I ALWAYS smoke poultry of any type at 300°-325°F. Low and slow does not work for poultry. Higher temp. gives nicer skin also. It ate most fine.