Prep 8 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
Bob Lane of the Mozark Smokemasters won first place in the Poultry division at the Valley Fare Daze in Grain Valley, MO with this recipe. It is a delicious smoked chicken recipe that we have used time and time again! Prep time includes overnight marinating time.
- Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry.
- Mix salad dressing and soy sauce in a bowl; strain.
- Inject chicken breasts, thighs and legs with salad dressing mixture.
- Sprinkle barbeque seasoning evenly over chicken.
- Place chicken in sealable plastic bag; seal bag.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hours or longer.
- Remove chicken from bag.
- Cook chicken in smoker at 250 degrees F over indirect heat for 4 hours or until cooked through, misting with apple juice every 30 minutes.
- Use hickory chips or apple wood in the smoker.
This was the first time I used my new smoker to smoke a chicken. The chicken was very flavorful, juicy and tender. The only thing I did different was to use pineapple juice instead of apple. Great
A-MAZ-ING! I made this for a work potluck, and used all chicken legs. I just dumped all the marinade ingredients in a zip-lock bag and added the chicken. Marinaded overnight and then smoked in my smoker with a mix of apple and hickory chips. In the water pan i used a mix of apple juice, water and black cherry whiskey. Received nothing by rave reviews. Thanks for posting
This was absolutely fantastically delicious!! I used a whole chicken, cut up. I injected with the marinade the night before and applied the rub the next morning. I also used the Kansas City Dry Rub (#52711 - Which is also fantastic, btw) My only regret is that I only made ONE chicken. There were no leftovers.