Deliciously creamy comfort food with a twist, this is the best Macaroni and Cheese I've ever tasted, and my family demands it frequently! Recipe can be halved, and should be, if you value your arteries! :) For a very easy way to incorporate some vegetables, steam some broccoli over your pasta-cooking water, and stir it into the casserole or serve alongside - but it's more likely to get eaten if it's already IN the casserole!
- 1 (16 ounce) boxlarge elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 cup smoked gouda cheese, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- liquid smoke, to taste
- paprika, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Stir in flour, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth; take off heat.
- Little by little, stir in milk until smooth. Stir constantly for 10 minutes on heat until thick; take off heat.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese, Velveeta cheese, Smoked Gouda, and Mozzarella cheese until melted. Add Liquid Smoke if using.
- Put cooked macaroni in a greased casserole dish, pour cheese mixture over and mix well. Sprinkle paprika and leftover Cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.