Recipe by Galley Wench
Another recipe for my stove-top smoker. Serve on a baguette with a mayonnaise-based dressing and a good aged cheddar for a memorable meal. Unless otherwise specified, wash vegetables well and place in smoker with water still dripping from vegetables... sprinkle herbs over vegetables for additional flavor. Makes enough for 2 generous sandwiches.
Top Review by gourmetmomma
yum! i'm glad to find another use for my stovetop smoker. smoking the veggies was easier than trying to grill them like we normally do, and the smoke flavor was a definate bonus. i made the sandwiches with goat cheese and rocket (arugula). for the sauce, we drizzled olive oil and vinegar instead of making the sandwich sauce. outstanding sandwiches, and a quick meal (i took under 30 minutes including cleanup).
- 1 small zucchini, sliced on the bias about 1/4 inch thick
- 1⁄2 small yellow squash, sliced same as zucchini
- 1 red peppers or 1 green pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 red onion, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 portabella mushroom, cleaned, sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut lengthwise in 4 slices 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons alder wood chips or 2 tablespoons cherry wood chips
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices cheese (of your choice)
- 2 French baguettes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 -2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 minced shallot
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- fresh salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat Muschrooms in Balsamic vinegar.
- Coat tomatoes in Red wine vinegar.
- Prepare Smoker, using 2 tablespoons wood chips of your choice.
- Cover drip pan with foil an d spray with Non-Stick Cooking Spray.
- Lay rack in bottom of drip pan, cover with vegetables, and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Place smoker on burner on high.
- Cover when wisps of smoke begin to rise, and cook 12-15 minute on medium.
- Remove from heat, keep covered an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Place on baguette, add cheese, crisp lettuce leaves, a sprinkling of fresh herbs, and sauce, and serve.
- Sandwich Sauce:.
- Mix to together sauce ingredients.
- Thin with milk if necessary.