Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great for lunch or dinner.
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) packages garlic & herb spreadable cheese, softened*
- 8 (10 inch) whole grain pita or 8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 lbs thinly sliced smoked turkey
- 16 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 cups loosely packed arugula or 4 cups gourmet mixed baby greens
- 2 large sweet onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Spread softened cheese evenly over whole grain pita wraps; top cheese evenly with Caramelized Onions and remaining ingredients. Roll up, and wrap in parchment paper; chill. Cut in half to serve.
- Caramelized Onions:.
- Cook diced onion and sugar in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 20 minutes or until onion is caramel colored. Stir in balsamic vinegar.
This was an enjoyable dinner on the run for my husband. When he saw them sitting in the refrigerator in parchment paper and enjoyed one, he just assumed they were bought at a restaraunt. I used spinach tortillas and prepared half of them with the left over flank steak from the night before. It was a nice variety and I will be fixing them again.
Incredible! The combination of sweet carmelized onions, crunchy bacon, creamy cheese, turkey and fresh greens is fantastic. Wonderful make-ahead, to-go, or picnic lunch and great for a patio or light dinner. Why I like Zaar..I was searching to use up some arugula and came up with this recipe, from Southern Living, which I have made many times. I'm going to list the changes I made tonight, not to improve the recipe, but to reduce the serving size and calories a bit. Used 12 8-inch multigrain tortillas, two containers of light Philadelphia cream cheese with chives and onion (instead of the Alouette), 12 slices bacon, all other ingredients as stated. I've made this for guests and when wrapped in parchment paper and cut in half diagonally, it looks very gourmet-ish. Also one of my husband's favorites. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!