Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great for lunch or a light dinner!
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 lb zucchini
- 1⁄2 lb jicama
- 3⁄4 lb smoked turkey, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 pita bread (white or whole wheat)
- Core and seed the pepper and peel the jicama. Cut the pepper, zucchini, and jicama into thin strips.
- In a small saucepan, bring the lemon juice to a boil over medium heat. Boil 2-3 minutes, until juice is reduced to 1 tablespoon. Remove from heat and let stand 1 minute. Stir in the butter until it is melted and incorporated. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet. Add the pepper, zucchini, jicama, and turkey and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the water and saute another 3-4 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Drizzle with lemon butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste and toss to blend.
- Cut pitas in half cross-wise and stuff with vegetable/turkey mixture.
This made for a very yummy lunch. If you are looking for a step above the usual sandwich AND you want to include some healthy veggies, this would be a great choice! I am so glad that I didn't skip using the jicama because it gave the stuffed pitas a delightful crunch and added a slight sweetness. I could see using the base of this recipe as a springboard for other meat/veggie combos. Great lemon butter sauce, too.