Adrienne in Reisterstown's Note:
Try the Smoked Turkey Braised Greens for a down-home comfort food taste. In the southern regions of the USA, we love greens like collards and kale. Unfortunately I was raised like most good southern girls to boil those greens to death. This recipe shows you a new technique for getting succulent greens without losing the nutrients from boiling. I made these greens for Christmas dinner using smoked ham instead of turkey and -- wow!!! It was out of this world good! My husband Keith hates collards but he had a third helping of these AND I caught him nibbling in the kitchen later that night! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 lb thick cut deli sliced smoked turkey, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cups mixed greens, coarsely chopped (cook's choice ( select collard, dandelion, mustard, chard)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, 2 good splashes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 -5 dashes hot sauce
- 1 -1 1/2 cup beer or 1 -1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1Difficulty: Easy.
- 2Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- 3Add extra-virgin olive oil and butter.
- 4When butter melts into extra-virgin olive
- 5oil, add smoked turkey and caramelize meat, a couple of minutes on each side.
- 6Add onions and cook 3 to 4 minutes more. Wilt greens into the pan and season with salt and pepper.
- 7Cook and toss the greens a minute or 2 more then add the vinegar – lean back so the fumes don't knock you out – sugar and hot sauce.
- 8Cook off vinegar for a minute then add beer or stock, enough to coat the pan and loosen up greens in liquid.
- 9Reduce heat to medium low.
- 10Simmer greens 10 to 15 minutes until no longer bitter.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked Turkey Braised Greens (Recipe Courtesy Rachael Ray)
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.8
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 31.4 mg
- Sodium 546.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: