Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
From BHG The New Dieter's Cookbook.
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1⁄3 cup wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces smoked turkey breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup pitted dates, snipped
- 2 medium pears or 2 medium apples, cored and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh tarragon (or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed)
- lettuce leaf
- In a saucepan, bring the water, salt, and pepper to a boil.
- Stir in brown rice and wild rice; return to boiling.
- Lower heat and simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes or until rices are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Let stand, covered for 5 minutes.
- Add in smoked turkey, celery, green onions, and dates; cover and refrigerate for 2-6 hours.
- Before serving, stir in pears or apples into rice mixture; season to taste with salt/pepper.
- To make dressing: mix together the apple juice concentrate, vinegar, and tarragon.
- Drizzle dressing over rice mixture; toss to coat.
- Serve on lettuce lined plates or bowls.