Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 mins
Found this recipe in "365 Great 20-Minute Recipes" and make it when I have left over roasted turkey. Instead of using smoked turkey I usually just use regular turkey and make Thousand Island Dressing by Graybert which is delicious. I have used English muffins instead of cracked wheat bread.
- 6 slices cracked-wheat bread
- 1⁄2 cup thousand island dressing
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb smoked turkey breast, thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups jalapeno jack cheese
- Preheat broiler. Arrange bread on a baking sheet and toast lightly on one side, about 1 minute.
- Spread dressing over toasted sides of bread. Layer with tomatoes and smoked turkey. Arrange avocado slices in a spoke pattern over turkey. Sprinkle with cheese on top.
- Broil about 5 inches from heat 1 to 2 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
WOAH MAMA...these were AMAZING!!!.....so much so, that I have had to make them three times this month already!!!<br/>I didn't use the Thousand Island dressing, but went down the route of another reviewer, using mayo mixed with cumin and chill powder.....fantastic!!<br/>As I don't do fresh tomato, I made mine without, but DH had tomato with his .....both of us enjoyed them enormously.....<br/>An absolute winner, that will stay in my favourite box...thank you so much xx<br/>Made for AUS/NZ RECIPE SWAP#84
Originally rated on 3/25/09 - This recipe made it into my book#266453. WOW! This is a fantastic little recipe. The combination of smoked turkey (I used deli-shaved), tomatoes, avocado and cheese is just marvelous. The thousand island dressing puts this recipe over-the-top, in my book. YUM. I forgot to buy thousand island dressing when I shopped and was so happy that there was a homemade version linked with this recipe. It was a snap to whip up and tastes just like thousand island dressing. I followed the sandwich directions exactly and wouldn't change a single thing. In fact, I ate TWO of these for my lunch because I couldn't stop at just one. Try this recipe, it is wonderful!! ~Made for PAC Spring 2009~
What a great lunch!!! Since I am not a fan of thousand island dressing, I took the suggestion from Starrynews and used mayo with cumin and chili powder. It was perfect! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, mama smurf. **Made for Fall PAC 2009**