Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Al dente Penne pasta tossed through lightly cooked smoked trout with a sun-dried tomato & sour cream sauce
- 60 g smoked trout
- 100 g sun-dried tomatoes
- 300 g penne pasta
- 1 -2 spring onion
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons whiskey
- 1 garlic clove
- cracked pepper
- 4 -5 drops fish sauce
- 20 leaves flat leaf parsley
- olive oil
- butter (salt reduced)
- Slice Trout into small pieces(set aside in small bowl), roughly chop Sundried tomatoes(set aside), slice spring onion and finely chop garlic. roughly chop parsley and leave until the end.
- Add pasta to salted boiling water, cook al dente.
- In a deep pan; add olive oil and a slither of "low salt" butter. Add garlic and spring onion and fry for about 3 minutes on med-high heat.
- Add wine, whiskey and fish sauce. Cook until liquid starts to slightly thicken. Add Trout and toss for about 2 minutes, season with a pinch of salt and cracked pepper. Add sundried tomatoes, combine and heat through(approx 1 minute).
- In a bowl add the sour cream, a pinch of salt and cracked pepper and 3 tbsp of the boiling pasta water and mix to a smooth texture. Add to the pan. Taste and season accordingly.
- When pasta is cooked; drain and add to the pan. Combine over low heat.
- Finally add chopped parsley, taste and season again if necessary.
- Serve. Enjoy.
My trout has to be dusted in white flour and drenched in hot oil to be palatable. It's just so - fishy. This sauce was excellent, easily made and turned Dh into putty in my hands. He REALLY liked this dish. He ate my tomorrow lunch tonight at dinner. Good one, AussieChef 79.