Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
A bit extravagant but well worth it.
- 1 lb smoked trout fillets or 2 (8 ounce) whole smoked trout
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons creamed horseradish
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- fresh ground pepper
- 7 tablespoons sour cream or 7 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 4 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 bunches watercress
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- 1 loaf bread (large)
- Skin and fillet the smoked trout ensuring you remove all the bones.
- Roughly flake two of the fillets in the bowl of a food processor, reserving the remaining two for later.
- Add the butter, lemon juice, horseradish, cayenne pepper, nutmeg and a good seasoning of black pepper.
- Pulse to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and flake in the remaining trout fillets.
- Fold in the sour cream, add the chives and stir well to combine.
- Check the consistency, adding more lemon juice if required.
- Place a spoonful of the pate on each serving plate with a large handful of watercress and wedge of lemon.
- Serve with crusty bread.