They make the most amazing smoked trout here in Costa Rica and I've been looking for ways to use it other than as an appetizer. This is my take on a smoked salmon pasta dish I had once-upon-a-time! Note: this would probably be better with lemon, but they're almost impossible to find here. Let me know if it's an improvement!
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil (use a good quality olive oil)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (or less, according to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 lb linguine
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 12 ounces smoked trout, flaked
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- parsley, chopped, for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, chile flakes and garlic. Set aside.
- Cook pasta till al dente. Drain and return to pan.
- Meanwhile, blanch asparagus till crisp tender. Drain and set aside.
- Add the juice mixture, asparagus, trout, parsley and green onion to the drained pasta. Toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in pasta bowls and garnish with chopped parsley.