Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A few years ago, I bought a jar of smoked tomatoes at a market in Queensland. They were expensive, but wonderful. I remember using them sparingly and constantly smelling my fingers afterwards until the delicious smoky aroma had gone. Russ just bought me a smoker so I’m keen to try this recipe I found on the net. According to the blurb, these smoky tomatoes give a depth of flavor to all kinds of vinaigrettes, sauces, salsas and soups.
- 12 vine-ripened tomatoes, halved crossways
- olive oil, for drizzling
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Prepare a stovetop smoker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Smoke the tomatoes for 20 to 30 minutes.
- They will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Really tasty and quick! I cooked along with some meat so put them on the top rack in the smoker half wrapped in some foil to avoid too much direct heat and smoke and they turned out great.