Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a nice twist on the regular Italian tomato salad with a parmesan vinaigrette salad dressing. This recipe calls for an outdoor barbecue grill. However, to make it indoors, prepare salad as directed except do not grill or peel tomatoes. For a smoky flavor, add 1 to 2 drops liquid smoke to the Parmesan vinaigrette.
- 6 medium tomatoes, cut in half
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 15 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup oil-and-vinegar salad dressing
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Soak 1/2 cup hickory wood chips in water for at least 1 hour.
- Set up grill for indirect cooking over medium heat (no direct heat source under tomatoes).
- Oil the grate when ready to start cooking.
- Drain wood chips.
- Add to smoke box if using gas grill or place chips on hot coals if using charcoal.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and black pepper.
- Place cuts side up on grill, away from heat.
- Cover grill.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until skins crack and start to peel away.
- Remove from grill.
- Cool until easily handled.
- Peel off tomatoes into large, bite-size pieces.
- In a salad bowl, combine tomatoes, mozzarella and basil.
- For vinaigrette, in medium bowl, whisk together salad dressing, Parmesan cheese and mustard.
- Pour vinaigrette over salad and toss.
- Serve immediately.