Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this in a cooking magazine and made it as instructed. I've since changed a few of the ingredient amounts to give it less of a vinegar taste and add some sweetness. Hopefully it works! I will update next time I make it if I decide to change anything else.
- 1 (19 ounce) packagefrozen garden mixed vegetables (or whatever veggie mix you want to use)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup ketchup (original recipe calls for 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (original recipe calls for 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey (original recipe calls for 1 Tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (original recipe calls for 1/8 tsp but I couldn't taste any hint of it)
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- Cook vegetables according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender.
- Stir in the water, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, honey, mustard, paprika, salt, sugar, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Warm slightly.
- Add sausage and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened and sausage is heated through, stirring occasionally and turning sausage once.
- Serve over the vegetable medley (and rice, if desired).