Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Another recipe that came with my new crockpot. Haven't tried it yet but will very soon. (I'm guessing at the servings yielded)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs smoked sausage (cut into 2 inch lengths)
- 3 cooking apples (thickly sliced)
- 1⁄2 head red cabbage (shredded)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- Layer the sausage, apples, cabage and onion in crockpot in the order listed above.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar, salt and black pepper on top.
- Pour the apple juice over all the other ingredients.
- DO NOT STIR.
- Cover and cook on LOW 6-8 hours or HIGH 3-4 hours.
Hubby loves smoked sausage, apples and cabbage so I thought this was a perfect dish and it was!!! He loved it!!! I only had cocktail smokies and they were fine. I got a late start and so I cooked on high for 4 hours. After 3 hours the original apple juice had disappeared and I had to add more apple juice. Next time I'll start with a cup of Apple Juice. Thanks for posting!!!
I made this with a whole small head of red cabbage on the stove and i liked it. My family is not a fan of sweet things so i cut the sugar down to 1/4 cup. Hopefully they don't think it is too sweet. I also used a little more than a cup of apple juice.
Oh boy!! Talk about a winner dinner! Delicious. I used garlic smoked sausage and only 1 huge Envy apple. I couldn't stop eating the leftovers also. Will make this one again and again.