Recipe by Becky in Wisconsin
This dish may seem a tad lengthy, but it is worth it. And it is a great dish to make an impressive presentation with.
Top Review by Lori Mama
Very nice dish. I loved the strong taste of the tomato sauce. I used a German smoked sausage. Cooking them in the apple cider was an interesting idea and gave them a lovely sweet touch. Instead of the macaroni, I served this over some gnocchi. :)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut in serving size pieces (Hillshire)
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 (7 ounce) package elbow macaroni
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium skillet, cook onion and pepper in butter until tender; do not brown.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and the seasonings.
- Simmer on low 10 minutes.
- In 10 inch skillet, bring cider to a boil; add sausage, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Prepare macaroni according to directions.
- Drain and arrange on warm platter.
- Top with sauce and sausage.