Recipe by mollypaul
Not all stews need to be time-consuming to prepare. A nontraditional stew with chunks of smoked sausage, both cooks and develops its flavor quickly. This is also the kind of recipe that can be prepared without bringing a load of groceries home. Most of the ingredients are pantry shelf staples and everyday vegetables.
Top Review by runningwild69
This turned out great, even though I had to make a couple of adjustments. I didn't have beef broth so used 2 packets of beef flavoring from ramen noodles (really) & water. Didn't have bay leaf so used fresh thyme. Added small can of mushrooms. All that and still tasted great and was super easy. Potaotes took 30 minutes to cook.
- 6 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery (diced or sliced)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt, to taste
- parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Place vegetables in a saucepan with consomme or broth, water, bay leaf and pepper.
- Heat to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for ten minutes.
- Add potatoes; cook ten minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Mix small amount of liquid with flour to make a paste; stir into vegetables.
- Add sausage.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until sausage is hot and liquid is thickened.
- Add salt to taste.
- Top each serving with Parmesan cheese.