Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Tasty, light and easy. One of my favorite meals is a bowl of soup and grill cheese sandwich. I make this one often.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) packagesmoked low-fat sausage, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (32 ounce) carton fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 (7 ounce) bagfresh Baby Spinach
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion, celery, carrot, and garlic.
- Saute for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes and rice, and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until rice is done.
- Salt and black pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and add spinach.
- Stir until spinach wilts.
- Grab a big bowl and enjoy!
Flavorful, light and delicious! A lovely mix of colors and textures. Only change I made was to use homemade chicken stock. This would be wonderful with leftover ham as well. Thanks, AshaK, for sharing the recipe!
I like jambalaya, so I loved this soup. It was very easy to make and used ingredients I naturally have on hand. I doubled the recipe. In order to make it less expensive, I added one can of chicken broth and finished off the liquid with water and bouillion cubes. I also added a little extra rice and had to flavor it with celery seed since I didn't have enough celery.