I was looking for something simple to fix for dinner and I wanted to clear some things out of my freezer and cupboards, so I came up with this. This recipe only uses 1/2 pound of meat for 4 servings. So I would also call this economical as well. The cooking time includes the time for cooking the pasta. Posted on March 16th, 2006.
- 1 cup uncooked pasta (I like to use spiral)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, thinly sliced (or you can use the same amount of chopped cooked ham)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion (I like to use sweet onion)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon self-rising flour
- 2 ounces Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Mix together flour and milk, set aside.
- In a medium sized skillet over medium heat, add oil, sausage, and onion.
- Cook until lightly browned.
- Add pasta, milk, and Velveeta.
- Stir until cheese is melted and pasta is well coated (if at this point you want it creamier and a little more milk), add salt and pepper.